Spray Tanning Care
One of the most asked Question is, How long will my SPRAY TAN LAST? Well my answer is, its a relationship between me and my client. It can last anywhere from 4 to 5 to 8 to as much as 10 or 12 days depending on many things. Its also 50/50. 50% my responsibility to educate my client on how to Skin prep your skin to assure best results and how to arrive equipped with the correct clothing and nothing on your skin that could create any barriers and or off set your PH in your skin. Then you need to trust in me, your spray tan artist to know what type to solution to apply on your skin type and know the correct technique to apply it on your skin then to communicate with anything else that could happen based on any skin conditions you are worried about and or your current life activities that may include a quick vacation in the sun and the pool or you may be an everyday avid person who works out a lot. How can these effect your spray tan, I will advise when I consult with you at your session. Good or bad I want to know how the next 24 to 48 hrs. look. I will always do a follow up. Skin can be a wild animal and you just never know how it will react and with my experience and knowledge and or my resources of networking I can reach out to any experts if I don’t know the answer or solution. I will assure your spray tan will be the best that it can be with my 100% guarantee . If you are not happy then I am not happy and I love what I want to do ! So you listen to me and I will listen to you
Exfoliate Skin 24hrs. prior to your appointment
For best results, exfoliate before your session and focus on the driest areas – elbows, knees, hands, feet and the backs of your ankles.
- Try not to shower day of your appointment (exfoliate with a body scrub and or with an exfoliate mitt or sponge both available for purchase at K-tans)
- Do not apply lotions, oils or deodorant (if you do have deodorant on please let me know and we will wipe off when you get ready for your spray tan)
- Do not shave the day of your appointment
- Arrive to your appointment with loose dark cloths and sandals or flip flops
- Long hair, style in a bun off shoulders
- Don’t use self-tanner prior to your appointment
Resist the temptation to use self-tanner and even tinted moisturizer close to your appointment. These products can leave your spray tan looking uneven and patchy as it fades
- Save your self-tanner for after your spray tan. You can use a self-tanner a few days after a spray tan application in order to prolong the longevity of the tan–** See K-tans Retail page for Spray tan safe products **
- Don’t take a “hot” shower same day
A hot shower might feel relaxing, but the steam will open all your pores and allow your spray tan to settle into your skin unevenly. This will leave you with brown dots all over your body for about a week-not exactly the look you were hoping for! If you absolutely must shower prior to getting your spray tan on, take a cool/cold one so your skin will have tighten pores.
- Don’t wax or shave same day–do this night before
While both hair removal techniques might seem like a harmless part of your grooming routine, they should be done at least 24 hours before you getting a spray tan, and ideally one to two days after. When it comes to waxing, you risk leftover wax being left on your skin, which, if not properly removed, can leave untanned lighter spots on the skin
- Don’t get a facial same day
If you’re having a total TLC day, choose whether you want to have a facial or a spray tan-just don’t have both. “Facials should be avoided right before a spray tan because the tanner will go into the open pores on the skin and create blackhead-looking spots on the skin
- Don’t wear tight clothing
Wear loose, flowy clothes It takes up to 15 minutes-longer than most people realize-for the DHA and bronzer to dry, so you not only run the risk of rubbing off your tan, but also staining your clothing if it’s too tight. Skip your bra if you can help it and definitely leave your skinny jeans and yoga pants at home. if you have any rub off, don’t worry it washes right out
- Don’t get a laser treatment same day
A spray tan should never be done after a skin-care treatment that uses lasers. This is because as the top few layers of the skin peels off, the tan will go with it, Lasers may also leave dry areas or spots on the skin and the tanner will get darker in these areas.
- Don’t apply acne medication before your appointment
It might be part of your skin-care ritual, but it’s not a smart idea to use topical acne meds of any kind on your face or body prior to getting a spray tan. “Most acne medication, including face washes containing salicylic acid and/or benzoyl peroxide, will dry out the skin, which will affect the results of the tan, it may make the tan too dark in certain areas and peel off in others, resulting in uneven results.”
- Don’t wear deodorant same day
Postpone putting on deodorant until after your spray tan. “The aluminum makes your underarms turn green with a spray tan, which will definitely stay for a few days
Again, most asked question is how long will my spray tan last. ” Read Above” to assure you walk away with a flawless spray tan and it stays this way you need to arrive equipped with the best skin for your solution to develop on, then we will decide to apply either a RAPID 4 to 6 Hr. developing solution or I may apply a 8 Hr. solution that you may want to sleep on. After your spray tan I want you to RELAX during your developing time. No tight clothing, No water on skin, No washing dishes Etc. and No Sweating that will activate your skin to exfoliate. We want the solution to absorb on the first layer of your skin (the Epidermis) and for GOSH SAKES DO NOT TOUCH YOUR SELF! you will still have bronzer on your skin while you are developing and bronzer is not friendly to palms of hands or the bottom of your feet or thin areas of your skin. Just Chill and Relax and rinse off when I advise you to and follow instruction of products to use while you are sporting your spray tan and ENJOY YOUR GLOW and remember Never Ever hesitate to reach out to me with may questions or concerns . I will always do a follow up and I want to hear good or bad! If you are not happy I am not happy
After Your Spray Tan
- After your spray tan session, RELAX try not do anything that will cause your skin to exfoliate (this would include body sweat and or working out) try and prevent your skin from getting wet while you develop
- Depending on what type of spray tan you choose (Ask Kimberly how long you should wait until you rinse) When you RINSE off your bronzer in the shower use warm water only (no soap or body wash) you can use your hands to help rub off your bronzer-don’t be gentle
- Next day (48 hrs. later) shower as normal and make sure you use spray tan safe products nothing with alcohol in the ingredients and no DOVE products. Check out K-tans Retail for the best products you can use to keep your spray tan lasting as long as it can while looking amazing and products to use to prep your skin to come back and do it again ! Stay hydrated and Moisturize! Moisturize! Moisturize! Enjoy your GLOW! Come back and see me in about 8 days!
I know that’s a lot of INFO, you can read or not. Its just my responsibility to inform you on how to achieve an amazing natural TAN from my services. Its up to you if you want to do your part. I will do my best to do mine